California DMV Bill of Sale (REG 135) | Vehicle | Boat
The California bill of sale form, REG 135, allows a buyer to purchase a motorized vehicle or vessel in the State. All fields should be filled-in on the form and the Seller is the only party that is required to sign the document.
Requirements by Seller
- Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability – The seller will be required to notify the State of the transaction through the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability either through filing Online or with the PDF form within five (5) days. If the seller chooses the PDF form it must be mailed to:
DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
NOTICE OF TRANSFER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY
P. O. BOX 942859
SACRAMENTO, CA 94259-0001
- If a Motor Vehicle Over four (4) years old – Statute 5751.5 – The seller is required to provide the buyer a smog certification within ninety (90) days. Use the locator to find the nearest auto shop that performs this test.
How to Fill in the California Bill of Sale (REG 135)
The parties involved in the purchase and sale of a motor vehicle, vessel, trailer, motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle (ATV);
- ID Number – Such as a VIN or Hull Number
- Year Model
- License Plate Number
- Motorcycle Engine Number
- Seller’s Name
- Buyer’s Name
- Date of Sale
- Signature of the Seller is the only party required to authorize.
How to Register a Vehicle
Forms to bring to your local DMV office;
- If the vehicle was a gift such as from a family member the Statement of Facts (REG 256) must be completed
- Application for Title or Registration (Form 343)
- Title from previous owner assigned to the buyer
- Proof of Vehicle Insurance
- Smog and Emissions Certificate (REG 139) – If vehicle is over four (4) years old.
- For Commercial Vehicles (Form REG 4008) – Required if vehicle weighs more than 10,001 pounds (lb.)
- For Trailers – Required for all trailer registrations
- Blank check for fee(s). Check to see what it will be with the Calculator.