MassDOT RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) Auto Bill of Sale
The Massachusetts RMV bill of sale is generally used for the private sale of a vehicle between a buyer and seller. The new owner will need to keep a copy of this form when bringing the vehicle to a Registry of Motor Vehicles Location. The transaction should take place on the date of sale with all items exchanging hands including the vehicle and monetary funds.
- Once the form is signed the transaction becomes legally binding.
How to Register
Take the documents below to the nearest Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) Office:
- Get Insurance. Once it is obtained the agent will grant an Application for Registration and Title (RMV-1)
- Certificate of Title – Should be obtained from previous owner and signed over to the applicant. If no title provided then the new owner must apply for a duplicate.
- Odometer Disclosure Statement – If the vehicle is under ten (10) years and below sixteen thousand pounds (16,000 lbs.).
- Authorized vehicle bill of sale
- Identification -Driver’s License, Passport, etc.
- Blank Check for fees.
How to Write
The form should be filled-in by both parties entering the following information:
- Date of Sale
- Seller’s Name
- Purchase Price
- Buyer’s Name
- Vehicle Information – Make, Model, Year, VIN, Condition, etc.
- Signature Area